Thursday, October 2, 2014

Ivy Covered Cottage

The Virtual Paint Out this month is in County Kerry, Ireland. There are so many beautiful places to paint there! I am still playing with sketching, rather than straight watercolor painting, because....it is just fun. I spent some time on the pencil sketch on this one, then went over it in permanent ink. Application of the paint was quick, which disappointed me because I wanted to go on painting. With sketching tho, you have to decide whether the drawing is more important than the paint.


2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. And your sentence it making me do some thinking: you have to decide whether the drawing is more important than the paint. That had never occurred to me before!

    Today is the first day of Sketchbook Skool... so excited. I had to laugh; on the first homework assignment, they say to "do it your way". ha ha, I don't really have a set sketchbook way yet. I'm playing around, trying out different ways, to see what I like, and to see what keeps coming up naturally. It's going to be fun, I can tell already. Thanks again for mentioning SBS here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the old saying goes, Don't follow me, I'm lost! I had read somewhere that either the drawing or the paint should be foremost, but not everyone follows that "rule," if there is one. It makes sense to me and I like the look of lots of white paper with an ink and watercolor wash drawing. I keep trying to minimize color with the drawing to the least I can get away with, but I always get carried away with the paint.

    I love that SBS encourages sketchers to do it their own way. You will learn your own way as time goes on. Soak up everything and it will eventually gel in the way only you can do, like your penmanship did way back whenever.

    ReplyDelete