Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Icelandic Homestead

This old homestead in Iceland appears to be the original home of the family, with a newer home and outbuildings nearby. Although the newer home is crisp and neat, it is the older one that draws my interest. I did an earlier version of this painting, using the colors and values that I was seeing on Google Streetview. As you can see below, it was pretty bland and I decided there wasn't enough there to make a painting. My thoughts kept returning to the little home and the dreams of the family who built it there by the sea so I glazed it with warm colors to bring it to life.

Original sketch:

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to look and comment. I always appreciate hearing from you, CL.

      Delete
  2. Live your richness added to your scene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes (lots of times) adding "more" is a big mistake. It's so satisfying when it actually works. Thank you for your feedback, Lorraine!

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful...I think your heart is what brought the painting alive. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debbie. You have a good one too!

      Delete